Sunday, July 12, 2020

Flying into the Heart of a Pandemic

 
ORD Airport in Chicago has restrooms that encourage social distancing. Each sink faucet is flanked on the left by a soap dispenser and on the right by your own private hand dryer!

* (See update at end of article.) Being a human cork at the end of a bungee cord holds no appeal for me. I'd sky-dive only if someone blindfolded me and shoved me out the airplane door. Even being on a stepladder produces a frisson of fear these days. The only courage I ever exhibit is when I "forget" to balance my checkbook each month and simply hope for the best. So, it was with trepidation that I decided to fly on one of the busiest weekends of the year, July Fourth, during a pandemic when doctors reported skyrocketing cases of Covid every day.


No, I didn't first go to the Emerald City so the Wizard of Oz could give me courage, it was bravery borne of love that had me at the airport on Friday afternoon, July 3. My daughter-in-law was in Florida because of her mother's sad and sudden passing, and my son needed help at home in North Carolina with the not-even-a-year-old-yet twins. There was no way I could stay home.

American Airlines gave me ample notice that my flight would be full. Did I have flexible plans and want to change, at no cost, to another flight on another day? No. I just packed extra hand sanitizer into a bag already jammed with rubber gloves, alcohol wipes, face shields and ten face masks. It's a wonder I was able to squeeze in a few clothes.

At the Tucson Airport, as well as at ORD in Chicago, RDU in North Carolina and DFW in Dallas, it was obvious that pandemic precautions were in place. Disks on the floor at three or six-foot intervals suggested where patrons should stand. Agents urged us to practice social distancing as we used the sky bridge to board the plane, and most of us waited patiently after we landed to deplane rather than crowd the aisle. None of the moving sidewalks at any airport were functioning although escalators and elevators were. Most water fountains permitted filling a water bottle, but not drinking directly from the fountain spout. Some airports had stickers on the chairs in the waiting area suggesting you keep your distance. Everyone I saw obeyed; often only one seat in a row of seats was occupied. Because there were so few travelers, it was easy to find an empty row, or even a whole waiting room, for yourself.

Frequent PA reminders admonished us to wear a face mask and all airport employees wore them while protected behind their plexiglass shields. I was only asked to lower my mask briefly when the TSA agent checked my ticket and driver's license photo. Travelers were careful to maintain social distance in the airports and at the restaurant kiosks. It was only at the Chicago airport where passengers seemed to think a chin mask was preferable to one that covered the mouth and nose!

The TUS ticket agent was particularly kind to me and changed my seats, at no charge, on the flights to RDU to Main Cabin Extra. No one was seated beside me, in front of me, in back of me or across the aisle. With my face mask and shield in place and no one within three feet of me, I felt my apprehension subside a bit. On the return flights, I paid a fee for exit row seats where no one sat beside me. I noticed, particularly on the flight from TUS to ORD, that the flight attendants were considerate in moving people who weren't related to empty rows or next to a vacant seat.

Most of the time I wore my mask and shield, so afraid of passing on the virus to my son and grandchildren that I was willing to endure the perpetual fog in my mask/shield world. Eventually, though, on my first flight, I asked the attendant if I could wear only the face shield and still be within airline guidelines. He assured me that would be fine, and, since I knew from my own research, that many epidemiologists said the shield offered more protection than the mask. I tentatively removed the mask and breathed freely for a few minutes before donning it again.

I found that to be a helpful way to relieve the sinus pressure that was building during the flights. The brief respites of using only the face shield offered comfort I simply couldn't find any other way. Interestingly enough, I asked the attendant on one of the return flights if the face shield was still satisfactory, and she said no. Either American Airlines quickly changed its policy or she was misinformed. I've left three messages with the airline asking for clarification, but no one has responded yet.

All the passengers were careful to wear their face coverings, removing them as the attendants suggested only briefly to eat or drink.

The long three and a half hour flight to ORD included no food or drink service although passengers were assured they had only to ask if they required something. Only once during my four flights to NC and back did I receive a goodie bag at RDU with a bottle of water, biscotti cookies, a small bag of pretzels, and a hand sanitizer cloth. Although many, if not most, stores and restaurants in the airports were closed, there were enough eateries open so I didn't have to go an entire day without food.

I've been home for four days, and while I will still self-quarantine for a total of fourteen, I feel fine despite my sinuses. They hurt so badly the first two nights I could not lower my head without wincing. Whether the problem was caused by the masks or are a result of allergies I don't know, but Flonase has eased the pain.
Yes, I'd pack my bag and fly again during a pandemic.

Would I fly again during this pandemic? I've relapsed to my cowardly self and want to stay safely at home while the pandemic rages around me. I'm still not about to go bungee jumping or sky-diving, but, I would fly again, if necessary, because the airline industry is providing what appears to be a safe environment. Of course, I'd still make sure a few precautions were in place. I would choose my seat carefully; make sure I used wipes to clean the seat, armrest, and tray table; wash my hands obsessively and use hand sanitizer often; have both a mask and a shield; carry a water bottle I could fill after getting through TSA and pack a lunch for a plane picnic.

So, I don't think a visit to the Wizard of Oz for a dose of courage is necessary for you to fly. Just be careful, use a few more precautions than usual, and you will fly safely through this pandemic.

*UPDATE: It has been two weeks since I returned home and I am feeling fine with absolutely no signs of Covid-19. Evidently the airline's cleaning plus my own precautions resulted in a virus-free round trip flight.

1 comment:

  1. Slot Thai เกมส์ลงทุนออนไลน์ ที่เป็นที่นิยม อันดับ 1 คลองใจคนไทยตลอดกาล PGSLOT ได้มีการบรับปรุงพัฒนาทุกอย่างอยู่เสมอ ทำให้การสมัคร สะดวก สบาย มั่นคง ยั่งยืน และปลอดภัย 100 %

    ReplyDelete